The Internet, perhaps, has been the biggest bang in the world of technology since the invention of the computer. And it is a necessity to such an extent that it can come after air, food and water. India alone has an Internet user base of over 243 million as of 2015. We know about all the amazing things we can do on the Internet, and the technology it is connected to. But, as the saying goes, the most popular always attracts the greatest attention, and when it comes to the Internet, hackers always have attraction to it.
Below are 8 tips everyone must know about Internet security.
Best Internet Security Tips
- Always choose a strong and unique password. Ensure that your password:
- Has at least 8 characters in it
- Has a mix of uppercase and lowercase letters
- Contains numbers and special characters
Also essential is to change your password every 6 months.
- Avoid using one password for all your online accounts. If a hacker is able to hack one of your accounts, then they may be able to compromise the rest. So, keep one unique password for every account. It might be difficult to remember so many passwords. So, take help from a trustable password manager.
- One of the best Internet security tips is to avoid storing sensitive information like login ID and passwords, bank account number, social security number and the like in mobile devices, USB drives, etc. These are small and more vulnerable to theft. If you think you should store all such details on your computer, keep them with proper encryption. This will make sure that your data does not have any misuse, even if falls into the wrong hands.
- Never respond to unwanted emails or emails that are unexpected. Even if they seem to be from a friend, your online store, or bank. Exercise extra caution against such emails if they ask you to click on any links or download any attachments. More often than not, such emails are crafted to infect your computer or take you to a fake website to steal your personal or financial information.
- Limit or avoid downloading free software from unknown/unverified publishers. These usually come loaded with malicious and potential dangerous programs such as spyware and adware. These software steal personal information and send it to third parties without your knowledge.
- Using free, unsecure Wi-Fi networks is a complete no-no when it comes to the best Internet security practices. Such networks are very vulnerable to a hacker to spy on your activities on the Internet. If you should use such a network, ensure that you have a reliable VPN software installation on your device.
- Having your computer or mobile device protection with the best Internet security software is equally essential. At times, we may find ourselves defence less against traps set by hackers. In such situations, having a reliable and multi layer antivirus software may come in handy and save us from a nasty cyber attack.